27 May 2006

Vegan Pizza

Found this wonderful Vegan Pizza at Honeylocust Media Systems site. Pizza is often a problem for Vegans unless you are able to obtain vegan cheese in your area and this recipe is great as it requires no cheese, Vegan or otherwise. Also great for people who are lactose intollerant.

Vegan Pizza


1, 16oz. can of crushed tomatoes
2 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, chopped
olive oil
2 1/2 teaspoons each of salt, oregano, and basil 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Drizzle enough olive oil into a saucepan to just coat the bottom. Heat the oil over a medium flame until it is hot, then add the onions, garlic, and peppers, and sauté until the onions are tender, but not brown. (When the onions are done, they will look slightly transluscent) Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes, then add the broccoli. Stir in the herbs, salt, and pepper, then lower the heat, allowing the sauce to simmer until the broccoli is soft (about 20 minutes)


2 1/2 cups flour (any type or combination will work)
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup honey or substitute
2/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 425 ° F. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the honey and oil, mixing with a fork until they are evenly dispersed. Pour in the water, while gently mixing, until the dough holds together, but is not sticky. You may need to use slightly less or more than 2/3 cups water depending on the type of flour used. Spread the dough uniformly over a 14 inch pizza pan and bake for 20 minutes.


1, 16oz. package tempeh (tofu or seitan are also good)
soy sauce
olive oil

Cut the tempeh into strips about 1/2 inch thick, then cut those strips in half lengthwise. Coat the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil and heat over a medium-high flame. Add the tempeh when the oil is hot, turning often until all sides are golden brown. When the tempeh is cooked, turn the heat down to low and season to taste with soy sauce. Turn off the heat after the tempeh has absorbed most of the soy sauce.

After the crust has baked for about 20 minutes, take it out of the oven and spread it with sauce. Only half of the sauce will be needed- try the leftover sauce with pasta tomorrow. Arrange the tempeh on top, then return to the oven for another 5- 10 minutes. (Adding the sauce and toppings right before the end of baking prevents the crust from getting soggy)



Michelle C. said...

yet another awesome post! I am going to feature this today on my blog and list it in recipes on Holistic Health Hut in June.

Jackie said...

Thanks Michelle.

Talya said...

i know it's not a universal "rule," but i feel like honey's not to be included in vegan recipes. it's very easily substituted-- which would lead perhaps to the retort that subs can be made at home-- but it's strange to find honey in a recipe claiming to be vegan. perhaps consider including a parenthetical remark about subbing at the very least?

Jackie said...

I agree with you that 99% of vegans avoid honey and substitute it with something else and the other 1% use organic honey. I personally don't eat honey.